Wednesday, May 14, 2008

People Who Are Too Much


There are a few people in my life who are too much. And by too much, I mean very generous and kind. I love their too-muchness. It reminds me that people can be good even when life hurts.

One of those too much people is an author of mine--Karen Spears Zacharias. Karen is an extremely generous, tenderhearted woman. She's a talented writer from the South traveling the country to impart her wisdom to other students and writers. Though she's an author I'm supposed to edit, I very humbly realize that she has more wisdom than I, and I relish the opportunity to learn from her about writing and about life.

Things I love about Karen:

She is real. She doesn't put on a certain "author" persona or have a big head.

She is socially conscious, involved in her community, and generous with her time.

She is near to God. This is evident very quickly after you read her writing or talk to her in person.

She is very accessible as a friend. I've never met her in person, yet I know I could call her up at anytime or show up on her doorstep for a glass of iced tea (if only I liked tea; sorry to you southerners). But for Karen, I would drink all the iced tea in the South.

What has made Karen a too much person for me? Her generosity has overwhelmed me. Ya know when I was leaving for Lake Placid to compete at the Adult Nationals? She sent a lovely flower arrangement to work for me, with a note telling me to skate my heart out. And now, 10 days before my wedding, she sees the pretty clutch I posted about last time and sends me a note that it's in the mail. What? No way! How cool and kind is that? I'm planning to carry this on my wedding day. It will add a bright splash to my outfit and remind me of Karen--and of how I want to be like her in my life and in my marriage.

And lest you think it is only tangible gifts I'm overwhelmed by, Karen has been a sounding board to me from day one. I always wonder how much of my personal life I should share with an author. Usually, I just don't know if they will care. Many of them are so busy that they don't have time for the personal relationship of author/editor. But I do like authors to get to know me as another person, not just someone at a desk. Well, I took a chance by telling Karen all about myself, and I immediately received a wonderful response. All through my planning process and her writing process, she has been more than ready to email about weekends, fun tidbits in the news, or even just to ask what my momma's dress for the wedding looks like. She cares about other people so deeply and vividly and makes me want to care about others the same way.

So, Karen, I know you can't make it to the wedding next Saturday (though if you did show up, you'd have a place set for you), but here is a toast to you and your friendship and for showing me that people can be good.

Much love,

Becky

P.S. Check out Karen's blog: http://www.heromama.org/
And order her book Where's Your Jesus Now? It's fabulous, if I do say so myself!

No comments: